Thursday, December 22, 2011

Being objective (or judging) other people’s relationships.

Despite the fact that I am not in a relationship, I have lots of opinions about relationships that others choose for some reason to be in.  I told my friend recently I was going to give her my thoughts on her situation, whether she wanted my insight or not.  (But who wouldn’t want my advice?  People that like to make mistakes, that’s who.) My fascination with my friends’ dating/married lives (it’s like crack to me) has led me to believe I’d make a GREAT therapist.  I do, however, have this fear that someday a friend, or more importantly, a client will look at me and say “You’re not in a relationship, you have no idea what you’re talking about.”  I will give one of three replies.  1. I’ve read a lot of books.  2.  I have a license to judge.  Literally, look at that piece of paper authorized to me by the state of North Carolina.  3. I am happy and single, and you are miserable in a relationship.  Who is making good decisions now?  

But in all seriousness, people fascinate me and people’s relationships with one another fascinate me more.  I’ve made my fair share of terrible decisions whilst blinded by butterflies and sexual attraction, or just fear of being alone: running away, (legit, like ran to the bathroom because I FREAKED OUT.  Needless to say, that didn’t work out the way I wanted), staying in a relationship too long, didn’t write back, told him I was interested prematurely, etc. etc. (running away still takes the cake).  For now, observing other people’s relationships gives me a good (well realistic) expectation of how things work.  And probably even more valuable, how things DON’T work.    

No comments:

Post a Comment