Monday, November 19, 2012

A Word on Boring People.

Sometimes, people in relationships can be really boring.  And typically, these people fess us to how boring they are.  It's because once you have found someone who can tolerate your lackluster attributes, there's no reason to fake having an exciting life.  To paraphrase a relationship, boredom stricken friend of mine, "I've always been boring, now I just embrace it."

Being single, I don't have time for that.  I've got to be as interesting as possible, so I can find someone to be boring with later.  When you're single, it's all about delaying that gratification of doing absolutely nothing, so you won't be doing nothing alone.  Here are a few tips to keep from becoming a single snooze fest before your time.

1) If you watch TV, make sure the shows are applicable to a wide audience.  Pick your shows based on appeal to the masses and life relevance.  Personally, I recommend How I Met Your Mother and New Girl.  My roommate and I watch this on the reg, preferably in mixed gender company, just to increase the quality of the viewing experience.  Plus, it just gives us more people to rant about Ted with.

2) Never wear sweatpants. Ever. Ever.  Sweatpants are symbol that you have thrown any sex appeal out of the window.  One of my friends wears them to signal to her husband tonight is not the night.  Whilst single, sweatpants are a symbol you have given up.  Put your sweatpants in the depths of your closet and go buy leggings.  Leggings are sweats equally comfy, sexy sister.

Disclaimer:  Guys can wear sweatpants and still look attractive.  Damn you, double standards.

3) Leave the house after dark.  If you never do anything after 8:00 p.m., you're officially a party pooper.  If you are under the age of 30, don't to to play the "I'm so old" card.  Yeah, the first year after college is really different now that you're an "adult", but it doesn't make it acceptable to bail on all social gatherings that start after nine.  Live your 20's like it's the 1920's.  Save the Great Depression for a later decade.

If you're still worried you have become an uninteresting person before finding your equally dull soul mate, compare your life to my friend.  Before doing anything I see how said activity ranks on the boring scale, 1-Carie.  You can read about her life here.  She's actually one of my favorite people, so chances are, she is more exciting than you.

Only your kids should ever find you this dreadful.

No comments:

Post a Comment