Wednesday, February 20, 2013

If my life were a movie, I would be played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Despite my seemingly cynical attitude, I love romantic comedies.  Give me some sap and hope for the future, unless it's so super over the top there's no dose of reality at all (cough cough Nicholas). But when reflecting on my life, I often finding myself relating more to the male characters of these films.  Maybe I've watching the wrong movies.  May I just don't fit the rom com mold (FACT, no one does).  For some reason, in my favorite movies and TV series, I tend to empathize most with the melodramatic male.

How so, you may ask.  Well, here's where I find myself between a skirt and a pants place in 500 Days of Summer, The Art of Getting By, Win a Date with Tad Hamilton, and How I Met Your Mother.

I'm Tom dropping not at all obvious hints of interest, thinking people can read my mind.

I'm George in denial, telling people there's nothing happening.

I'm Pete falling for my friend, waiting for the perfect timing to tell.

I'm Ted, hoping that their mind will change if I just keep trying.

So my question is, where are these men in real life?  Are these hipster hollywood writers just trying to be ironic?  Wet get one message from society that girls are clingy and guys don't have emotions, but then we get another: that there are all these emtional, sensitive, ready to be vulerable guys out there.  Maybe I haven't found one because opposites attract but I don't really believe that.  I think it's because somethimes in life, it's less scary to be rejected than the fear of falling hard and not getting back up.  It's easier to chase after people we know we can never keep up with.  It's also really tired and I'm out of breath.

So if you're a Tom, Pete, or George (Ted has just gotten sad, let's be real):

Nice to meet you.  I'm Autumn.


No comments:

Post a Comment