Thursday, February 14, 2013

I want more than OK, Cupid.

So here's the thing: I'm not one of those girls looking for a husband on a first date.  But i'm also not looking for sex on a first date either.

Since our generation has successfully killed the concept of casual dating, you see my dilemma.

Being a woman of the 21st century, I thought I could single handedly revive our dating culture.  WRONG.  Every time I ask a guy out, it's like I'm asking him to commit right then and there.  Did I ask you to be my boyfriend/husband/evenforaseconddate?  I missed that, take your ego down a notch.  

On the other hand, I don't really want to waste time either.  If I know (or when I know) that we would never ever get together (sung in T Swift voice), I won't string you along.  It's not fair to you or me or my friends who put up with me talking about it.  That being said, I know it can take a while to figure all of that out.  Which is why I wish dating didn't feel like a race down the aisle in which I missed the gun shot.

Searching for a soul mate feels like looking for a needle in a haystack.  It's tedious and takes a lot of work and even more patience.  And when I do find one I just end up getting pricked.  I put a band-aid on the wound but it leaves scars that are still visible as I start to look for a new one.  Some scars become calloused and rough, making me less sensitive to getting hurt again, other wounds are so fresh that they reopen even at the slightest touch.

Needless to say, I'm done with haystacks.

Now I feel like I'm looking for a diamond in the rough.  Not one that knows it's shiny and bright and is boastful with it's shine.  I want one whose flaws I can see, and whose imperfections make it brilliant and unique.  Others may have buried the diamond deep in the sand, or not noticed how it reflects the sun.  I will, and when I hold it in my hand I will forget the scars are even there; all I will see is my reflection in the face of something beautiful.

Everyone deserves more than just ok.  I don't want to be ok for someone or have someone just be ok for me.  So this Valentine's Day, I'm not settling for just ok.  I'm spending it with my way more than ok friends instead.


1 comment:

  1. I have so much to say to this, your posts are so heartfelt, genuine, and thoughtful...so much to say, but I'll save it for the best part of Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete