Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Chemistry.

My high school chemistry teacher used to say “Chem Is Try.”  I know he was saying this in reference to trying harder in class but I think it applies to romantic chemistry as well. If you don’t try, nothing will ever happen.  If you are single and bothered by it, take a second to reflect on yourself.  Are you doing anything to change it?  Your single status is probably not due to a lack of chemistry, just a lack of try.

One of my favorite How I Met Your Mother quotes comes from the character Robin on this very subject. To paraphrase,

            For a relationship to work you only need two things: Chemistry and Timing.  
                                                      And timing’s a bitch.  

Well Robin, I’d have to argue Chemistry’s a bitch too.  Sometimes it’s not there and things just fizzle out despite what I do to fix it.  Sometimes there is more than enough but I don’t know what to do with it. This situation results in one of the following.

1. I quit and flunk potions class.
2. I come on too strong and the lab blows up.

That being said, I don’t think there is such as thing as too much chemistry.  Chemistry is just not enough to sustain a relationship.  We need a little anatomy and psychology too. Mostly, there are just a lot of inexperienced chemists out there.  And the only remedy is try.

Besides, who doesn’t love working with significant figures?

1 comment: