Friday, March 30, 2012

Mr. Darcy: Fiction.

Jane, I’m sorry but I’m not buying this whole “Pride and Prejudice” thing of yours.  I know it’s a classic, or whatever, but come on.  That would never actually happen.   Let’s be real for a second.  Fighting cannot lead to happiness.  Have you seen the divorce rate? Ms. Austen is the role model for people like Nicholas Sparks on how to feed us unrealistic expectations about relationships.

Every guy I’ve legitimately dated (all two of them), I’ve liked from the beginning.  Who wants to fight all day?  If I don’t like you in the beginning, I’m not going to date you.  If you’re attractive, but we are polar opposites, I still don’t want to date you.  We can be friends, but that’s it. There may be “more” to you; go share that more with someone else.  I’ll pass.     

I want to know, Jane, what happened to Mr. Darcy and Miss Bennett ten years down the road.  I’m guessing after the honeymoon, Elizabeth realized Mr. Darcy was just as pretentious as she thought he was in the beginning.  Once they were married, it was even worse than she could have imagined.  Now, she couldn’t get away.  And Mr. Darcy realized just how stubborn Elizabeth was, and just resolved to grunting all the time so he wouldn’t have to talk to her.  But nobody tells you about that part of “passion.”     

So next time you think about dating someone you argue with all the time because they are sooooo hottttt, think twice.

Just like Noah, Peeta and Rhett Butler, Mr. Darcy is just another work of fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment