Monday, March 19, 2012

Coffee Shop Crushes and other Hypothetical Relationships

I have a favorite coffee shop.  It’s conveniently close to home and work, has great coffee and a plethora of cute hipster guys.  Anytime I’m in a slump, all I need is to run down the street, spend one dollar on caffeine, and see a skinny guy in plaid to remind me that life is good again.  It doesn’t matter that I’ve never actually talked to any of these dudes, because one day I will. (Maybe.)

For those of who you have been with the same person for like forever, remember what it was like to meet someone new?  To find someone attractive and wonder what they are like?  To make awkward eye contact and wait to see if they approach you?  Yeah, I’m sure you miss the mystery, excitement and stress of it all.  Because once you know how some one really is, let’s be real, more often than not it’s disappointing. I like to keep all attractive people at a distance, so they never tarnish their gorgeous looks with an ugly personality.

My sister and I often talk about all the beautiful people we don’t actually know.  We chat about our hypothetical husbands.  We met them at UNC and when we grow up, we are going to have Carolina blue weddings, join the alumni association and frolic on the quad forever.  We will all totes be bffs.

The best thing about hypothetical relationships is that they aren’t real.  They don’t force you out of the house, out of your comfort zone and to take any risks whatsoever.  Why would I risk something going wrong, on the chance that something goes right?  I’m just fine eating my feelings in pints of ice cream.  Besides Zac and I are doing just great.  Hypothetically, of course.  

Disclaimer: I have some friends who are living proof it’s worth taking the risk, even when things don’t work out the first time around.  I know some brave people.  Hopefully I grow up to be just like them. :)

1 comment:

  1. I get those at the gym I go to. There's a couple guys with amazing bodies that have the audacity to take their shirts off after a workout. It's very...distracting.

    ReplyDelete