Tuesday, February 28, 2012

How I Met Your Mother.

This may be the greatest show of all time.  And if you are single, you can particularly relate to this sentiment.  I’ve learned many a life lessons from HIMYM: how to let go of anger, the importance of timing, not to have a kid with my best friend, and how to be awesome.  Everyone has a character they are most similar too, and I’m a Ted.  I’d like to think I’m a Robin, but I want kids and would never evereverevereverever date a Barney. evereverever.  

I’ve made many decisions from Ted’s words of wisdom.  I have also had my friends play “Have you met Hannah?” when we go out.  Okay, that’s not entirely true, but Ted gives me hope, despite the fact that there probably isn’t a guy out there that desperate to get married in this century.

The fact that Ted lives in New York City and still manages to go on the same blind date twice, makes me feel not that half bad about my situation.  You’d think the fact that there are millions of people would increase your chances of finding someone.  Apparently not.  

Some days, Ted’s insight just doesn’t cut it.  These are the days when I cast my dreams of marriage aside and adopt a more awesome approach to life.  Now, I am not a fan of sleeping around, and would not condone 95% of Barney’s behavior.  But, he is hysterical and is probably the king of pointing out good things about being single (I’m the queen, OBVIOUSLY.)  And sometimes, he isn’t that bad at relationships either.  

Lilly and Marshall pull through with the wisdom when Ted and Barney are both being pathetic, in emotionally different but broken ways.  They are like the perfect role model couple.  Granted, no one should be basing expectations of a real relationship after a fictional one, but hey, it’s better than still believing in Prince Charming.  

And finally, Robin.  My favorite quote from her is probably “I got this.”  Independent, hot, strong, she doesn’t let guys change her even when she’s in love.  She doesn’t let her boyfriends even feel as if she needs them.  Which suggests lots of other psychological problems, but we won’t go into that now.

Although How I Met Your Mother is loved and adored by people of all relationship statuses, it gives five very important messages for single people.

1. Hope that there’s someone out there. (Ted)
2. Knowledge that being alone is still awesome. (Barney)
3. A relationship to aspire to. (Lilly and Marshall)
4. It’s okay to date ex’s best friend.
   It’s okay to date your therapist.
   It’s okay to put your career first, but it’s also okay to want other things too. (Robin)
5. Inner dialogues are always acceptable.

I would like to think my life is an unfinished rom com, but it’s more of a drawn out saga of “How I Met Your Father.”  I can’t wait to see how it finishes, but I know there will be some great episodes before the season finale.  And at this rate, I might even beat Ted down the aisle.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this show, and love that Netflix has it streaming!

    ReplyDelete