Monday, February 20, 2012

Being Emo.

We all have our down days.  It happens during certain times of the month (men have it too, IMS, look it up), when it’s rainy outside, or you spill chocolate on your favorite shirt. The most emotional person, however, is a high schooler and a single one at that.  I take that back.  There’s no one more emo than a single young adult acting like they are still in high school.  Sometimes it’s actually fun to wallow in your woes, or even being dramatic just for fun.  Nothing quite like putting up illusive song lyrics on the Facebook or Twitter, wishing it were an AIM away message instead (#90skid).  

After you’ve declared to the world you’re the most misunderstood person on the planet, just like everyone else, then there’s the process of selecting music for the occasion. For some, it’s Vanessa Carlton.  “She just gets me.”  For me it’s Death Cab or Dashboard Confessional.  If I’m feeling really unstable, Taylor Swift can do the trick too. If I’m feeling really in touch with my young self, I pull out Avril.  (Come on, Happy Ending was legit.)   There’s nothing like the out of body experience of watching yourself cry over something totally ridiculous that in the moment is the end of the world, whatever age you are.  My favorite out of body experience has got to be belting out the words to “Best Deceptions” while driving in the mountains at 17.  Just kidding, at twenty-something.  And then follow it up with “What’s my age again?”

Being single lends itself to many of these emo days, whether genuine or just for the need to feel self important.  But hey, I am totally misunderstood.  Except by Adele, obvs.

No comments:

Post a Comment