Monday, March 25, 2013

Alternate Ending: 500 Days of Summer

This movie is great.  It always causes a lot of internal turmoil for me when I watch it.  Team Tom or Team Summer?  If I'm honest, I can relate to both.  I've dated Tom and pined over Summer.  I was Summer "forgetting" to listen to that mix tape he made, I was Tom declaring that this is not how to treat your friends.  Tom, oh Tom, why did you stick around?  Everyone else saw it coming.  I know love is blind, but 1) you're in LA, 2)she's not that hot, and 3) you are.  I hear the critics: "It's hard.  If you were in that situation, you would have done the same thing."  Oh really?  No I haven't had 500 Days of Summer, but I did have 80 Days of When-it-was-convenient-for-him and last time I checked 500 > 80.

So once in a while, I stop the movie short and pretend this is what happened:



"I disagree and that's what I want.  I believe it does exist, it's love not Santa Clause.  I deserve to be with someone who cares about me as much as I care about them.  Sorry, I can't do this anymore." -Tom

"You're right, you do.  Bye Tom."

Summer goes to therapy to sort through her fear of commitment.

Tom quits the card gig, and becomes a top architect in LA.  He then moves to NYC to open up a firm with Ted Mosby who is also super awesome and not desperate (I told you, this is me pretending.)

End Scene with audience applause because Tom was BA and stood up for himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment