Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Applying to Graduate School.

Since I’m in the process of applying to graduate school, one of my mentors keeps telling me to be happy I’m single.  She’s says this to comfort me when I complain about the lack of suitors lining up at my door.  (I mean, I don’t want to be single forever.)  But in all seriousness, I will relish in the fact that I get to go to graduate school where I want, without having to factor someone else in.  I know many couples who have survived this feat (including my parents), so I’m not saying it can’t be done.  I admire these people. For me, however, being single has just made me realize how opinionated and independent I really am.  (My friends figured this out YEARS ago and my parents have known this for roughly two decades and some change.)  But it has taken me a couple of years of self reflection to actually admit this.   So, until I find the-one-with-which-i-am-willing-to-compromise, I can be as totally academic and career focused as I want. (Or more realistically, as much of a social butterfly as I want.)

No comments:

Post a Comment