Saturday, October 20, 2012

Relationships that never happen.


I date a lot.  I go on many a first date, and sometimes they even lead to relationships.  There was the drummer I dated for a month before he was just too into his music.  Then the summer romance that just turned into so much more until the distance became too hard.  I had the high school sweetheart, where prom became the highlight (and downfall) of our relationship.  There was the guy I talked to in the library just because he had red hair.  And then we went out just because he had red hair.  And that’s where it ended too.  There was one random time I actually decided to talk to someone in a bar, and he turned out not to be a jerk.  For like two dates.  But then there was another one who kept the jerk at bay for two months.  There was the friend that I finally told I loved.  And it was an Avett song (You Swept Me Away), until it turned into a Taylor Swift song (pick any and all).  Then there was the guy that saw me from across a crowded room.  When he walked up, I let my guard down.  Then he walked away, and now my guard is a 6 foot brick wall.

Disclaimer:  All of these people are real, sort of.  All of these people I had relationships with.  But the truth is all of these relationships were in my head.  For many of them, what happened in my head was way more promising than what ended up happening in real life.  For others, it gave me an excuse not to try.  Sometimes that’s ok.  I didn’t really need  to talk to that tool-ish guy at the bookstore/basketballgame/bar anyway.  The problem is, when the relationship in my head keeps me from a relationship in real life.  So dear potential suitors, bring me back to reality.  Because you’re probably more empathetic than I’m giving you credit for.  And more patient. And less afraid of commitment.  And most importantly, more real.  And as much fun as it is to date that hipster-esque man in my head, I’d much rather date one in real life.

As long as he doesn’t mind knocking down walls.  Or at least isn’t afraid of heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment