Sunday, January 27, 2013

Things I don't have to care about.

Relationships are all about compromise.  Being single, on the other hand, is all about being selfish.  Just kidding, I still have to compromise to keep my friends around.  Or pick ones that always agree with me.  And I think the single ones would concur, sometimes it's nice to just do our own thing.  We can save our energy for what we want to do, and enjoy the fact that now we can just do it.  So just to ensure I have enough energy saved up for my future significant other, here are a few things I'm not going to worry until I have to.


Someone else's profession.  What I have quickly realized as an adult, is that some people's jobs bore me.  I totally recognize my interests probably bore other's too.  Everyone has friends that they envy, and want to hear about their work.  Everyone also has friends that they never ask about work because they would rather hear nails on a chalkboard than about this person's career.  I hope that I find my significant other's profession as exciting as he does, but even if I do, I'm sure there will be some days I will have to fake my enthusiasm.  But for now, I'm enjoying not having to fake anything.

Being a bandwagon sports fan.  If I'm honest, I really only care about one team in one sport.  If it's not college basketball, I'm not paying attention.  This attitude could be potentially helpful to a future significant other.  Sure, I'll cheer for your team.  And no, I'm not pretending I care, I do care.  I care because nothing is worse than a grumpy guy whose team has just lost.  So if I date someone who is obsessed with (insert sports team here) I will be 100% on board, and cheer for them at 110%.  But if you screw me over, I will cheer against (insert sports team here) until the day I die.  It's one of the few ways a scorned woman can learn to believe in justice and karma again.  For now, I'm saving up all my fan-ship energy for future suitors and March. Madness, I know.

Having nice dishes.  I'm not really into housewares.  I know some people are, but I could care less what I eat on, as long as I'm eating food.  And since I'm not trying to impress anyone, I don't have to have matching dishes, or real glasses, or hide my silly straws.  I do have suitable dishes, but I never know when a full set will actually be clean.  For now, Nana's lilac dishes do just fine.  Or a paper towel.  The less dishes I have to load, the better.

Television shows I don't like.  Everyone has their favorite shows.  And everyone has shows they do not like.  I'm not ignorant to the fact that people may not be as concerned about Ted's future wife as I am or find New Girl funny at all.  (If you don't find any character on that show amusing, suitors need not apply.)  You don't want to sit through Will and Grace reruns?  Cool, I don't want to sit through your blood and guts show or condone your weird obsession with reality TV.  Someday I'll through some show I don't like because I do like the man who watches it, and he'll have to sit through pretty much anything ever made with Zooey Deschanel and Jason Segel.  Unless he complains too much.  No one like to watch TV with a whiner.  Then again, no one likes to date one either.

What I will be in doing in a year. or 3. or 5.  "What are you doing with your life?"  I don't know. I don't have to have a 3 year plan, or 5, or 10.  I do what I wnat.  I can look for jobs across the country.  I can go to school again (3rd times the charm?)  I can live abroad, or just move to the woods.  I'll figure the bills and health insurance out.  For now I'll just worry about today.  As hard as this is for me as an extreme J on the Myers-Briggs, it's kind of a relief too.  I don't know what adventures life will bring.  And I have found that the best things in life are ones that I haven't planned.  I'm in a city, at a school, with wonderful friends I couldn't have seen coming.  Life's plan was better than mine.  And sure it'll be nice to someday share life's adventures with Someone special.  For now, I'll just enjoy sharing life with someoneS special.


No comments:

Post a Comment