Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallweed.

Some people would be described as wallflowers.  They are quiet, mysterious, and attractive in a awkward yet intelligent way.  I am not one of those people.  Quiet is the furthest from the truth. Any attempt at mystery is given away because I'm honest to the point of bluntness.  And although I am intelligent, my awkwardness definitely trumps that in most social settings.  Needless to say I tend to stand out and not because I'm super suave.  If it's not my voice carrying across a room, it's my pink skinny jeans or my red hair.  Despite how much I may seem to stand out in a crowd, I still often feel like a wallflower.  Sometimes I feel overlooked or brushed to the side.  And unlike wallflowers, who inspire awe when discovered, I stay left with the other wallweeds who rarely get much more than acknowledgement they exist. We wallweeds live in the same soil as the cool kids, just dressed in our own petals.

The thing is, one person's weed is another person's flower.  Some walk by dandelions without slowing down.  Some pick them and cast them aside.  Some try to crush their roots to make room for more socially acceptable flowers.  Alas, they keep coming back, insisting on being noticed by matching the bright yellow of the sun.  But other people dare to stop.  Some of these people are wallflowers, who know uniqueness when they see it; others may be the favored rose who is ready for something else in their bouquet.  One weed may recognize the beauty in another, even if they are still in denial of their own.  Weeds make the best flowers.  If you pick a dandelion at the right time, it might just make your wishes come true.



No comments:

Post a Comment