Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Unfiltered: The Notebook.

Despite how much I reference this movie, it’s not actually my favorite rom com.  If I want a sappy, hopeful, love film, I’d rather watch 13 going on 30, or Win a Date with Tad Hamilton, or 500 Days of Summer.  (Yeah, yeah, I know Summer sucks, but somehow I always end up optimistic about my dating future after watching that movie.)  I have many friends who are huge fans of the Notebook, and I respect that choice.  And I have seen it more than once, and cried more than once when watching it.  But I have a bone to pick with Mr. Sparks.

I don’t buy it.  I want Nicholas to write an autobiography about his own real life love story. I want to know how that went down.  Is he as romantic as all his fictional characters?  I’m a well known cynic, so to me it seems like a pack of lies.  He built a house.  Why didn’t he just bust up in the restaurant when he saw her then?  Personally, I would have taken him back right then and there, as soon as I heard about the 365 letters he wrote.  Then he would have saved all that time on manual labor and drinking too much liquor.

I’m all for a romantic gesture, don’t get me wrong.  I do have a heart (and it’s not made of stone).  But the only thing that surprasses dear nick on unrealistic expectations about relationships is Disney.  If I leave a Tom shoe anywhere, no one will be trying to find me, except to tell me to wash my feet.  And I’m guessing a glass slipper wouldn’t smell much better either.

Watching the Notebook while you’re single is like eating too much chocolate (also done frequently by single people).  It first makes you feel better, happier, and more content, followed quickly by self-loathing depression.  Maybe I’ll have more favorable feelings about the Notebook once I’m in a relationship (fingers crossed), but let’s be real.  I’ll just think my own story is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment